We all experience aches and pains from time to time. Whether it’s from overuse, inflammation, or the natural aging process, severe joint and muscle soreness can impact your daily functioning. For some, consistent pain can be the result of a chronic condition. The most common of these is arthritis, which affects more than 54 million people in the United States alone.
In this blog post, we will discuss what causes joint and muscle aches, as well as natural remedies like cannabidiol (CBD) that can help to soothe areas prone to tension, stress, and tightness.
5 causes of joint and muscle aches
1.) Poor Posture
Poor posture is not just a cosmetic problem as it can lead to chronic pain in the joints, muscles, and bones. The human body was designed to move and be active, so when you are inactive for extended periods of time, your muscle function deteriorates. Sitting at a desk all day with poor posture, for example, could cause any number of problems. The increased tendency to slouch or bend forward places added pressure on your spine and strains your spinal discs, which can cause pinching, nerve irritation, and even headaches.
2.) Lack of Exercise
Whether you are standing, sitting, or lying down, your joints and muscles work to keep you upright. Muscles need movement to stay healthy. An inactive or sedentary lifestyle can lead to stiffness in the joints, muscles, and bones. Exercise has been shown to reduce stiffness and mobility problems.
Our joints and muscles are intricately linked. Muscles allow joints to move, and joints provide stability for our bodies.
Muscles are made up of elastic fibers which contract and pull on our bones when they need to move or stretch, but overuse or underuse of muscles can lead to pain or injury in the joints. Repeatedly using a muscle without giving it enough rest will cause the elastic fibers to shorten and become tight. This means that it becomes difficult for the muscle to reach its end range of motion because these shortened fibers don’t allow for maximal flexibility.
When muscles go too long without being stretched out after repeated use, they can develop trigger points that make joints feel stiffer or more painful than normal. A lack of muscle use can also cause it to become weak and atrophied over time.
4.) Chronic conditions
Research based on NHIS data has shown that chronic pain conditions affect approximately 50.2 million U.S. adults. There are several existing chronic pain conditions. Below we will cover some common types of chronic pain that are linked to arthritis.
Arthritis is a condition that affects many people. It is caused by inflammation, which causes the joints to rub together and can lead to pain, stiffness, and reduced mobility. Some symptoms of arthritis include difficulty moving joints, swelling around the joints, sensitivity to heat or cold, tenderness near inflamed areas, and morning stiffness that lasts longer than 30 minutes.
One of the most common types of arthritis is osteoarthritis, which occurs due to natural wear and tear and aging over time. Other types of arthritis include rheumatoid arthritis (RA) and fibromyalgia. RA is a chronic autoimmune disease that causes inflammation of the joints and makes it extremely difficult for those who suffer to do tasks many take for granted, such as opening jars, using zippers and buttons, or washing dishes. Fibromyalgia is a painful condition characterized by muscle and joint aches, as well as difficulty sleeping and cognitive issues.
5.) Inflammation or Injury
Injuries to the muscle or bone can occur from accidents, sports incidents, and heavy lifting without proper technique. When you injure a muscle or bone it is common for areas around the injury to be sore due to increased inflammation in those areas. This can also happen if you have an injury that causes a lot of swelling like an ankle sprain. Additionally, stress hormones like cortisol can increase inflammation, which is why you might feel sore after a stressful day.
How to treat joint and muscle pain
Treating joint and muscle aches can be difficult, but there are some things you can do to alleviate discomfort.
- Exercise: Try to get the blood flowing by doing gentle exercises such as yoga, walking, and stretching. Gentle exercise helps stretch out muscles which can relieve tension, reduce inflammation, and improve circulation.
- Professional Care: There are many branches of professional care that may be effective at reducing discomfort caused by joint or muscle pain. Such branches include physical therapy, chiropractic care, acupuncture, massage therapy, and osteopathy (a form of holistic, manual therapy that focuses on the musculoskeletal system). The positives of seeking professional care include reduced inflammation and increased mobility as well as a decreased use of opioid drugs to relieve pain. Cons include cost if insurance does not cover it and inconvenience because it often requires multiple sessions over an extended period.
- Medication: There are medications available that can help treat chronic pain including NSAIDs (nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs like Advil), analgesics (painkillers), and muscle relaxants. The downside to using painkillers is the potential to develop a dependency. That’s where cannabidiol, commonly known as CBD, can be used as a possible alternative.
CBD for joint and muscle soreness
If you are already incorporating exercise or routine physical therapy for joint and muscle aches, you might also consider incorporating CBD.
CBD works in the body through interactions with the endocannabinoid system (ECS) — an intricate network of neurotransmitters and receptors in the brain and body that is responsible for regulating and modifying many functions in the body to maintain a state of homeostasis. Examples include a boosted immune system, inflammation relief, digestive support, and more. The ECS produces cannabinoids similar to THC (tetrahydrocannabinol) and CBD (cannabidiol) cannabinoid molecules. Therefore, when CBD interacts with our CB1 and CB2 cannabinoid receptors it is thought to amplify the effects of the ECS, such as inflammation.
Introducing the Hempzilla joint and muscle collection
If you constantly suffer from joint and muscle pain, you are not alone. That’s why Hempzilla has created an exclusive collection of Joint and Muscle topicals, infused with organically grown CBD and a variety of other soothing ingredients, to help you combat joint and muscle soreness, aches, and tension.
Whether you are looking for a roll-on, spray, or gel, Hempzilla has you covered!
- CBD Joint and Muscle Roll-On: Made with a powerful combination of cooling menthol, organically grown CBD, and ActivAloe®, this pocket-sized powerhouse provides relief to the areas where you need it most, whenever you need it most.
- CBD Joint and Muscle Pain Spray: Available in an easy-to-grip spray bottle and custom-formulated with CBD, Menthol, and Camphor Bark Oil, this spray allows you to target hard-to-reach areas without the mess.
- CBD Joint and Muscle Gel: One of our bestsellers, this gel contains natural menthol and 24 potent essential oils to instantly cool, calm, and soothe areas with joint and muscle aches.
- The Better Patch: This unique, slow-release patch is transdermal and can easily be applied to various parts of the body that need relief.
In addition to CBD, the other ingredients in each Joint and Muscle formula play an important role in alleviating joint and muscle aches. Here’s a closer look at each:
- ACTIValoe® is a pure form of aloe that has been shown to increase bio-absorption and hydration in the skin.
- Menthol is a common ingredient in lotions, soaps, cough syrups, and other common products. It is found in mint plants and has been shown to trigger receptors and alter blood flow in the skin to produce the cooling sensation it is known for.
- Camphor Bark Oil comes from the camphor tree and is processed via steam distillation to keep its natural properties intact. It can be inhaled through the nose to reduce congestion and inhalation, rubbed on the skin as a pain reliever, or blended with other oils to create an aromatherapy experience. The scent of camphor bark oil is a mild minty aroma with woody notes.
By pairing CBD with these three powerful, all-natural ingredients, the Hempzilla collection presents a potent, pure, effective line of joint and muscle products.
As highlighted above, there are several causes of joint and muscle aches. Whether you are experiencing chronic pain or just have an occasional flare-up, we recommend consulting your doctor for more information on how to alleviate symptoms or if you are considering adding CBD to your daily regimen. CBD for joint and muscle soreness may be one way to find relief and is a great natural alternative to prescription drugs.
Hempzilla CBD offers a variety of topical products that can help with your aches and pains. Our shop also features tinctures, capsules, edibles, and other formulas for a variety of needs. Whether you are an athlete or someone who just wants relief after sitting at their desk all day long, our Joint and Muscle collection has you covered!
To learn more about the collection or shop our site, head to hempzillacbd.com/product-need/joint-muscle/ today!